Technological tools have a prominent presence in the field of education. The development of web technology has further changed the way instructors and learners participate in education, training, and development. Web-based tools increase communication, connection, and making the process of transfer information faster and more convenient. Web-based tools have evolved through the years from web 1.0 technologies to web 3.0 technologies. Web 3.0 technologies allowing the instructors and learners to be actively involved in the process of creating, share and publish information (Raja & Nagasubramani, 2018). For online education, the instructors and learners have many technological tools that aid and improve the process of online and distance learning. From social media platform to online classroom management tools to e-book and digital book platform, instructors and learner have many choices and option to select the most suitable ones for their process of education.
Web 3.0 Technology Tools for Online Educational Sharing
The course started with the introduction of technology tools for online and distance education. The tools identified classed into many categories and purposes that aid and support many aspects of learning, training, and development:
- Educational Portal – platforms designed to support the process of learning management and experience for the learners. The platforms are synergy-learning.com and Study.com. Synergy-learning.com provides instructors and learners with a learning management system that delivers and participates in lessons, resources, and results (Synergy-learning.com, n.d.). Study.com helps personalize learning making the learning event manageable and navigable by learners (Study.com, n.d.).
- Tools for Online Resources – Help learners to find academic resources that are credible and sharable to others. The platform identified are Google Scholar, Wikipedia, and Textbooks Revolution. Google Scholar and Wikipedia are search engines that provide users with articles and writing that contain information on research topics, However, Google Scholar finds articles and writing with tighter restrictions and more suitable for academic use compare to Wikipedia. Textbook Revolution is a website that provided the free textbook learner.
- Interactive classroom Experience – helps instructors and learners to communicate and interact with each other. Google Tool Suite provided a complete experience for instructors and learners. Google tools suite helps learners to manage a classroom activities, store and share class materials, communicate and interact, testing and evaluation, and find resources and experience. Google Tools Suite provided a creative and productive instructional design and classroom experience for both instructors and learners (Walsh, 2014).
Subsequently, the web 3.0 social media platforms also provide support to the process of online and distance learning helping the instructors and learner to improve the effectiveness of the instructional design and improve learners’ experience.
- Wikis – Aforementioned, Wiki most know for the platform Wikipedia which is a powerful search engine for learning material and information (O’Neil, 2019).
- Blogs – Allow users to create, edit, and post content and act as a one-way communication platform for learners to demonstrate their learning and understanding.
- Medium – Medium is a blogging website that caters to more professional usage. The topics covered by Medium are contributed by expert, professional and first-person witnesses of their specialty (B.c.g, 2015).
- Videos – Using videos in education have a long-standing history. Using videos in education has become more accessible to the learner through online access and streaming (Fukkink et al., 2011).
- YouTube – YouTube is one of the most popular and largest social media platforms that majorly dedicate to video-sharing. The videos have a wide spectrum of topics and subjects. Learners can search videos that meet their needs and the learners can also use the platform to share their video.
- TED Talks – TED Talks provided the recording of experts in their field of study to help people gain a deep understanding of the surrounding world. Using TED Talks in education help the learners to gain expert opinion and viewpoint in their topic of study.
- LinkedIn – LinkedIn is a social media platform designed for professional and business use. LinkedIn also offers training and development course for employees to improve and elevate their career (Johnson, 2019).
- SCRIBD – CRIBD Provide e-books and audiobooks for the learners helping the learner to gain flexibility and accessibility to class material at any time and on any platform they need (Harriet, 2021).
- Quora – Quora is a unique platform where learners can post a question and gain an answer from experts and professionals of the field. Quora provides the opportunity for learners to freely post questions and get answers that are contributive to their learning and education progress (Quora.com, n.d.).
The Most Effective Tool
As aforementioned, The Google Tool Suite is one of the most well-grounded tools that learners can access to improve their online and distance learning experience. Google Tool Suite provides many services with one account:
- Google Classroom provides the learners with a virtual classroom setting where instructors and learners can interact and conduct classroom activities.
- Google Hangouts is video and phone communication platform that allow instructors and learners to conduct conversations and discussions via video call, phone call, and Messages.
- Google Docs is and Editors suite offered for free by Google for use to create documents, spreadsheets, presentations and drawings. Google Docs is a powerful tool for learners to create class materials.
- Google Scholar is a search engine where learners can search for articles and academic writings to use in the learning process.
- Google Forms is a platform that create polls, evaluations, and quizzes to assess the process of learning.
- Google Drive is a cloud-based storage platform where learners can store and share class materials.
Google Classroom provides the learners with a virtual classroom setting where instructors and learners can interact and conduct classroom activities. Google Tools suite is easy to access and use. The platform is well-known and has excellent troubleshoot and support for usage and issues. Google Tools is the most effective and invaluable for the process of online and distance learning. However, the Google Tools suite does not provide every service that relates to the process of learning. Using Google Tools suite with other platforms like Wikis, YouTube, LinkedIn, and Quora further improve the online and distance learning experience by learners.
Sharing to Fellow Learners
The Web 3.0 Technology tools guide for online and distance learning is a brief introduction to the platform and tools the learners can access to gain better learning management and learning experience. The technology guide contains a handful of tools and platforms that barely scratch the surface of the vast quantity of quality tools and platforms that is available for learning. However, the guide provides a good introduction to online and distance learning technology tools. Learners can use the guide to tap into the resources and materials that are available. The infographic provides a good understanding of the usage of the Google Tools suite. Learners can utilize the infographic to gain access to the platform and start using one of the most effective tools available for online and distance learning. I would like to share this guide of web 3.0 technology tools for online and distance learning with fellow learners. Learners can use this guide to gain an understanding of the usage of Web 3.0 platforms for learning. Through experiences and usage, the learners can start to identify and use the tools and platforms that most suitable for individual demands.
B.c.g. (2015). Using Medium in the classroom. https://medium.com/@bcg251/using-medium-in-the-classroom-be80d0df1619
Fukkink, R. G., Trienekens, N., & Kramer, L. J. (2011). Video feedback in education and training: Putting learning in the picture. Educational Psychology Review, 23(1), 45-63. http://doi.org/ 10.1007/s10648-010-9144-5
Harriet. (2021). Subscriptions. https://support.scribd.com/hc/en-us/articles/210134106-Subscriptions.
Johnson, D. (2019). ‘What is Linked In?’: A beginner’s guide to the popular professional networking and career development site. Business Insider. https://www.businessinsider.com/what-is-linkedin
Quora.com. (n.d.). Why Quora exists. https://www.quora.com/about
Raja, R., & Nagasubramani, P. C. (2018). Impact of modern technology in education. Journal of Applied and Advanced Research, 3(1), 33-35. https://dx.doi.org/10.21839/jaar.2018.v3S1.165
Study.com. (n.d.). Simplifying learning unlocks opportunity. https://study.com/pages/About_Us.html
Support.skype.com. (n.d.). What is Skype? https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA6/what-is-skype
Synergy-learning.com. (n.d.). Experts in creating learning with impact. https://www.synergy-learning.com/?utm_source=adwords&utm_term=e%20learning%20portal&utm_medium=ppc&utm_campaign=LMS&hsa_src=g&hsa_net=adwords&hsa_tgt=kwd-284116428&hsa_mt=p&hsa_ver=3&hsa_cam=11198225656&hsa_acc=7629392377&hsa_grp=109825418837&hsa_kw=e%20learning%20portal&hsa_ad=467726015441&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI76fvj-_o7gIVJMqUCR0OyAfuEAAYAiAAEgJDYvD_BwE
Textbookrevolution.org. (n.d.). Textbook Revolution. http://www.textbookrevolution.org/index.php/Main_Page
Walsh, K. (2014). 20 fun free tools for interactive classroom collaboration. EmergingEDTech. https://www.emergingedtech.com/2014/05/20-excellent-free-tools-for-interactive-collaboration-experiences-in-the-classroom/